- Lactobacillus Acidophilus is the most important strain of the Lactobacillus species.
- Grows well in an acidic environment
- L. Acidophilus helps to digest lactose in the milk.
Our recommendations are based on the following rules:
- Exact strain number is shown in the supplement facts
- Product of the single strain or one of the strains of a few others
- Best customer reviews with high number of reviewers
- Popular brand and low cost
L. acidophilus NCFM
Many synonyms: La-1, NCK56, NCK45, N2, RL8KR, RL8KS, RL8K
Seasonal (pollen) allergies (1), Colds for children (2), Immune support for the elderly (3), Vaginal infections, Diarrhea (4), Menstrual Pain (5), Atopic Dermatitis (AD) for babies (6)
L. acidophilus DDS-1
L. acidophilus DDS-1 is good for Atopic Dermatitis (AD) for children (7).
L. acidophilus LA-5
L. acidophilus LA-5 is effective for Type II Diabetes (8).
- Ouwehand, Arthur C., et al. "Specific probiotics alleviate allergic rhinitis during the birch pollen season." World J Gastroenterol 15.26 (2009): 3261-3268.
- Leyer, Gregory J., et al. "Probiotic effects on cold and influenza-like symptom incidence and duration in children." Pediatrics 124.2 (2009): e172-e179.
- Ibrahim, Fandi, et al. "Probiotics and immunosenescence: cheese as a carrier." FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology 59.1 (2010): 53-59.
- Sanders, M. E., and T. R. Klaenhammer. "Invited review: the scientific basis of Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM functionality as a probiotic." Journal of dairy science 84.2 (2001): 319-331.
- Minelli, E. Bertazzoni, et al. "Effect of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum administration on colonic microbiota and its metabolic activity in premenstrual syndrome." Microbial ecology in health and disease 9.6 (1996): 247-260.
- Home, New Hope. "Children with Eczema May Benefit from Bi-07 Probiotic."
- Gerasimov, Sergei V., et al. "Probiotic supplement reduces atopic dermatitis in preschool children." American journal of clinical dermatology 11.5 (2010): 351-361.
- Ejtahed, Hanie S., et al. "Probiotic yogurt improves antioxidant status in type 2 diabetic patients." Nutrition 28.5 (2012): 539-543.