- Has many benefits, especially for the colon
- Is present in breast milk and is one of the first microbes to colonize the infant gut.
- Has enzymes to digest proteins so putrefaction can be minimized.
Our recommendations are based on the following rules:
- Exact strain number is shown in the supplement facts
- Product of the single strain or one of the strains of a few others
- Best customer reviews with high number of reviewers
- Popular brand and low cost
B. longum BB536
It lowers the levels of LDL and Cholesterol (1) and helps improve health in the elderly (2).
B. longum R0175
It is known for reducing the stress and improve the mood (3, 4).
- Andrade, Sara, and Nuno Borges. "Effect of fermented milk containing Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium longum on plasma lipids of women with normal or moderately elevated cholesterol." Journal of dairy research 76.04 (2009): 469-474.
- Seki, M., et al. "The effect of Bifidobacterium cultured milk on the “regularity” among an aged group." Nutr Foodstuff 31 (1978): 379-387.
- Messaoudi, Michaël, et al. "Beneficial psychological effects of a probiotic formulation (Lactobacillus helveticus R0052 and Bifidobacterium longum R0175) in healthy human volunteers." Gut microbes 2.4 (2011): 256-261.
- Messaoudi, Michaël, et al. "Assessment of psychotropic-like properties of a probiotic formulation (Lactobacillus helveticus R0052 and Bifidobacterium longum R0175) in rats and human subjects." British Journal of Nutrition105.05 (2011): 755-764.